Monday, June 15

Zumba!

Due to my recurring foot pain from what I'm pretty sure is plantar fascitis, I did not go for a run today. Saturdays run was terrible! And I was hurting all day from it. So I decided that I better take some time to let this thing heal completely and then ease back into the running. I was originally planning to swim this morning but I got to spend time with some wonderful friends that I haven't seen in a year instead. A great trade-off, right? Then I got a text message from another friend asking if I was going to Zumba at the YMCA. I thought this would be a good workout alternative to running or swimming and I have been dying to try it because I've heard that it's so fun! I have also heard that Tania who teaches the class is a really awesome instructor and I haven't been to any of her classes yet.

So I showed up for Zumba not knowing quite what to expect. I will say that it was so much fun! It reminded me of my Jazzercise days but I think I had more fun with it than Jazzercise and I definitely worked harder, but maybe that's just me. However, there were so many people at this class due to it's popularity that we were packed into the small aerobics room. We were all sweating so much that the mirrors fogged up and the floor was getting a little slippery from all the condensation from our sweat! I was pretty disgusting! Despite the incredible body heat and humidity of the classroom I had a great time dancing for a workout.

I don't know that Zumba was the best choice of a workout for me this week when I'm trying to stay off of my feet. I guess I was thinking that since it involves steps from various Latin dances that it would be low impact and not put stress on my feet and calves. I was very wrong about that. The salsa steps and others are often taken on the balls of your feet instead of using the whole foot. But just staying on the balls of my feet I was using my calf muscles quite a bit and putting stress on my plantar fascia! I don't know that any of this is technique correct since I am not a doctor or physical therapist or anything, but I'm just telling you what it felt like to me.

I'm glad I did Zumba because it was super fun and now I know what everyone is raving about. But I also realize that staying off your feet actually does mean "staying OFF the feet." I know I can definitely do some swimming and probably use the rowing machine in the YMCA cardio room to get my heart rate up this week. I'm not sure about biking, I don't know if that will prevent my foot from healing completely. Any thoughts about this anyone? I may try a nice easy ride on Wednesday to just see how it goes. But now I know that Zumba and anything that is actually on my feet is out of the question at least for the next week or so. :( I never thought I would be upset about not being able to run! Usually I'm looking for excuses not to run!

2 comments:

Nick and Christina Brannen said...

I'm glad you liked it but sorry I stood you up!!! It is so hard to predict how long he is going to sleep. Hope your foot feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

it was so great to spin with you y-day! sorry i had to rush out...needed to fix dinner for the boys because jack was going out last night...loved seeing you! hope it wasn't too much stress on your foot!