Friday, May 16

Skee Ball and Microfiche

The past few days have really brought back memories of childhood. First, I was doing research in the library for my thesis. And the articles and papers I needed to look at are stored in the basement of the library on microfiche! I can't remember why I even used the microfiche machine when I was little, but I do remember that I used it at the county library for some kind of research project.
Then I was at the gas station spending a fortune to fill up my tank. Their digital credit card machine was out of order so the guy had to use the hand-held machine. I had no idea what it's called--but you know the one....where they make an imprint of your card number and name on the carbon paper. That was flashback to the 80s number two.

The third reminder of how much fun that decade was came when a couple of my friends decided that happy hour was the same as always and kind of boring today. Somehow we started talking about Skee Ball and how much fun it is. So we ditched the bar and went to Chuck E Cheese where we were surprise to find two things: 1) the pizza is really not that terrible (no worse than Little Italy) and 2) they sell beer and wine at Chuck E Cheese!? We did not partake in those refreshments because we would rather spend our money on tokens for Skee Ball than on beer and wine who brand and vintage is not even specified! We thought that it must not be very good. Three 20-somethings and 54 tokens later, we ended up with around 225 tickets. I did not recall that the tickets really don't get you anything of value at Chuck E Cheese. So we spent 150 tickets on a bag of cotton candy and gave the other 75 to little kids who were collecting them and saving them up for some big pillow or something. We ate cotton candy and looked at shoes in the store next door until our stomach's ached from all the sugar and air. Overall, it was one of the most fun and random evenings I've spent in a long time!

This week just felt a little more like 1988 than 2008 at times. I didn't mind though because I loved being 8 yrs. old and lip syncing Debbie Gibson songs. Maybe I'll just record that new song "Bleeding Love" from the radio onto a cassette tape, pop it in my Walkman and complete this strange week of throwbacks.

2 comments:

Dawgpatch said...

I definitely think you should make another Debbie Gibson video! That was priceless and I'm so sorry that it got lost. It may be wandering out there in the world somewhere and one day you may end up on Youtube. Don't ever lose that that 8 year old spirit, enthusiasm and love of life and music. "I love you just the way you are".

Anonymous said...

I loved debbie gibson!!!! she was amazing!!! and i loved skee ball!!! so glad you are finding a little time for some fun!