Friday, May 30

Hopelessness and Redemption

I was just painting and I heard a song by Katie Melua on my iTunes that reminds me of where I was spiritually about a year ago. This is the part of that really stood out to me.
"How can I think I'm standing strong,
Yet feel the air beneath my feet?
How can happiness feel so wrong?
How can misery feel so sweet?"
I remember so vividly when I heard this song for the first time and how I could really identify with those words. It made me cry then for very complicated reasons and it makes me tear up now because I remember just how hopeless I felt then (when I could relate). And what is so sweet about it now it that right after that song played on iTunes, it shuffled to the next song with was "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go." I think the title says enough right there. These two songs show me how much I have hope where I did not have it before. Really the whole hymn is so profound and great but here is just one poignant verse:
"O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be."
Only God can redeem something so wretched and turned it around so we can see His love.

No comments: