Thursday, July 10

Trying NOT to eat glass

I cooked salmon for dinner tonight, but there was a little problem. When I took my Pyrex dish out of the oven after the fish was cooked, I set it down on the stove top like I always do. While I was admiring how yummy the honey mustard sauce looked glazed on top of the salmon, the dish shattered right before my eyes! It was almost like a tiny invisible bomb was inside the dish with my fish and it blew out the corner of the glass and cracked the rest of it.

I called my mom while I was picking up the shards of glass across the kitchen floor to see what I had done wrong that made the dish shatter like that. We decided that there may have been a tiny hairline crack in the Pyrex from my move that I never even noticed because it was so small. That could explain why it seemed to explode spontaneously after being heated and then set down to cool.

Then we were debating whether or not it is safe for me to eat the fish. My mom said no because there are probably slivers of glass either on top of or inside the salmon fillets. In fact, I could see a few sliver glimmering in the light on top of the delicious honey-mustard glaze. And seeing as how I still do not have health insurance (I need to get on that, pronto!), I don't want to risk swallowing some glass that could cause some internal bleeding and who knows what kind of damage to my digestive system. My mom reminded me that if I have to have surgery because of swallowing glass, I'll end up paying everything I have for the surgery and then I'll have to go on welfare and get food stamps. So eating glass is not a good idea.

So I washed the fish off and got rid of most of the yummy honey-mustard that was baked onto the fish. I was only growing hungrier by the minute while I was inspecting each fillet for glass specks. And I might add that generally when I cook a meal for myself, I actual make about 4 servings and eat leftovers the next day and freeze the rest for another day. It's just more efficient for me to do it this way. So I'm not just talking about one salmon fillet, this is about 1.5 pounds of salmon we're talking about so I really wanted to try to save it. (Salmon is not cheap!)

I think I got all of the possible glass off and I can make more sauce to put on top of it. I decided to eat a salad for now, but I'm still debating whether or not I should try to eat the fish! I think all the glass is gone but what if I missed some or it's too small to see? What do you think I should do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

after close inspection, i would eat it....glass so tiny you can't even see, is probably not going to have any effect on your internal system...you have probably eaten glass before without even knowing. :)