Sunday, April 13

Fun with Templates and Themes

If you haven't found this out about me yet, I'm definitely the kind of person who wants to know how everything works. It's usually not enough for people to give me facts. I always want to know why or get some kind of background information. I take things apart just to see how they're made and then see if I can put them back together. I do this with abstract concepts too, like languages with their syntax and grammar as well as theological arguments. It can be a blessing and a curse all at the same time. On one hand, I'm hardly ever bored--but on the other hand, I have trouble sleeping at night because I never stop thinking about things.

That is essentially what is so fascinating to me about computer programming and especially web sites. Today I spent more time than I should have fiddling with CSS codes to try and create this really cool layout I have here on my blog now. I actually went to the CSS Zen Garden website for inspiration and ideas. I found one of the designs that didn't quite make the cut and used a lot of codes from that design. I used Photoshop to create the background where it looks like handwritten notes about this blog. I guess what is really important is that I had fun doing it. And now I am really proud of the way my blog looks. I think it also reflects more of my personality than the original classic template I had. I'm sure I will decide to change it in the next few months and find a new challenge in CSS. That's what happened with my MySpace profile--as soon as I finally had my profile coded the way I wanted it, I was ready to change it already!

I also added one of my favorite songs by Patty Griffin to the page. Please feel free to silence that if it annoys you. I realize that people often prefer silence during their web browsing, so there is the option of the pause button. Thanks for checking out my new design!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am not hearing the music...LOVE patty griffin!!!

happy to be in the same house with you today... :) glad you got to sit with hal and chat!ha!!!