Wednesday, April 16

Insomnia and Bizarre Dreams

First, let me say that I'm really surprised people are actually reading this blog! Maybe I'm more interesting that I thought.

But right now I can't sleep. I've been trying to go back to sleep for about an hour, and that gets really boring and frustrating. Then I got hungry.... So what does one do at 4am when one cannot sleep? I'm eating yogurt, watching the news (who knew the news starts on CBS at 4am?), and catching up on anything I might have missed on Facebook. It's too late for me to take something to help me go back to sleep, so I just have to find something to do. Yesterday I woke up really early and started reading one of my library books for my thesis research. It was actually very entertaining and interesting to me and I thought 'I should do this more often when I can't sleep.'

I don't know why I can't sleep. Most of the time it's hard for me to fall asleep because my mind is just racing thinking about things and I can't get it to stop. It's not that I'm really worried about anything, I just have a head full of thoughts. But right now, I'm not really thinking about anything at all.

A few nights ago, I had a dream about my mom's puppies. She breeds Cocker Spaniels and English Toy Spaniels. She actually has a website called Dawgpatch with lots of cute pictures and information about puppies. My dad calls the English Toys "monkey-faced rat dogs" because they have sunken in noses and beady eyes. The puppies are actually really cute and sweet, but it's still funny that he calls them this.


So in my dream, someone was getting a puppy from my mom, but the puppy was acting really wierd and pooping all over the place and getting into everything, being really bad and not acting much like a sweet little lap-dog puppy. So she took the puppy to the vet and had all kinds of tests run on it, only to discover that the puppy was actually half monkey! The vet said (remember this is a dream) that a monkey must have wandered into my parents yard and bred with the mother of these puppies and produced monkey puppies! So mom had to call all of the other new owners and tell them they had monkeys and not pure-breed English Toys.

My dream was so vivid that when I woke up, I actually thought this had happened until I was alert enough to realize that this is ridiculous! I immediately called my mom to tell her about my hilarious dream. I don't think she enjoyed it quite as much as I did, but my dad sure did laugh when I told him that I dreamed that the "monkey-faced rat dogs" really were monkeys.

So which is better, insomnia or crazy dreams? At least I am entertained by my dreams....

2 comments:

dawgpatch said...

The next time you wake up at 4 a.m., you can work on MY blog and add some puppy music-- or monkey music. Love you.

Anonymous said...

love it!!! i say weird dreams are better because then at least you slept :) dreams are like tv in your sleep, right?!